Re: [Harp-L] Retirement from Videos and Posts

I have been ruminating about Matthew's and David's recent posts. I have to admit that I am a bit two-hearted about their respective decisions to stop posting on Harp-L (Matthew) and especially to stop posting their terrifically informative Youtube videos (both Matthew and David). I now have some frank comments about their situations.

My first impression upon reading their posts was great sadness -- for two reasons, one selfish. At first I was selfishly saddened because I have enjoyed and learned so much from the videos posted by both of these generous and knowledgeable harmonica technicians. Plus, from what I know of them (I only "know" these gents from their on-line presence), they are both simply terrific people. That is the second source of my sadness. I am most saddened for these two generous gentleman of the internet. They both are quite obviously wounded and feeling their pain acutely. I can certainly understand the way they feel about not receiving what they deem should have been appropriate positive feedback for all their time, effort and generosity. But there is more to that story.

In thinking about the roles those of us who have so freely enjoyed "consuming" their altruistic sharing of the information they have gained through years of careful study, I focused on my own individual role in causing their misery. It seems that I, as well as others like me, who didn't always respond to their submissions with gratitude, may have inadvertently been the source their pain. Analyzing that issue led me to a different way of thinking about their situation. It got me thinking about their motivation for posting all this information so freely in the first place. After all, prior to their videos, information about repairing especially or customizing harmonicas was generally quite closely held by those whose knew it.

That's when I, as a long time Harp-L subscriber, began recalling when each of these two gents came "on board." In both instances back then I remember being struck by the way they each suddenly and brashly began posting on the "L" and making their related posts on Youtube. These gents both portrayed themselves as theretofore undiscovered experts on the field of harmonica technology. In both individual cases I remember thinking "where did this guy come from?" Soon, two things became apparent. One, they obviously both knew their "stuff." Second, I was left with the distinct impression was that they had self-promotion interests at foot. And that was and is perfectly OK with me. No problemo.

But now to my point. Both David and Matthew have personally profited greatly through their on-line teaching. They both succeeded in establishing credibility through their efforts. Their on-line presence formed the basis of publicizing their own personal skills and, by the way, their own companies. Bottom line: They both created careers and businesses through their on-line teaching. To my way of thinking, that's very clever use of free advertising! Kudos to both David and Matthew. As an old entrepreneur at heart, I salute them both. I wish that I could have figured out a way to turn one of my hobbies into a profitable business and burgeoning career.

Interestingly, when they had achieved their goals of putting themselves, their companies and their products "out there," they not only stopped posting, but even removed many of their Youtube videos. That's what revealed their true colors.

Let's be real now, folks. I resent being even obliquely accused of being a selfish taker who consumed free information without even so much as a thank you. And this from two guys who's principle interest in putting their videos out really had nothing to do with their selfless desire to share their hard-found information. I'm being made to feel guilty by two guys who established, through careful and clever business planning, a means of creating careers and businesses? I don't think so.

What worries me now is not David or Matthew, though I feel very sorry for them personally that they harbor such misdirected animosity towards the very people upon whose backs they profited. Through their on-line presence, they've succeeded admirable in their personal goals of creating careers and businesses. What worries me now is that their selfish on-line tantrums might deter future on-line sharing by other knowledgeable people. And that, my friends, would be a very sad consequence of this whole affair.

At least, that's the way I see it.

Michelle