Re: [Harp-L] Setting the Tempo

Sing the song to yourself for a moment before you begin the count.

-----Original Message-----
From: Elizabeth Hess <TrackHarpL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Jan 4, 2013 7:05 am
Subject: [Harp-L] Setting the Tempo

One of my big goals this year is to build a vocal repertoire, because if I can
lead a whole set (at the open mic jam where I play harp), then I'm not at the
mercy of songs that other people pick.

It's going pretty well, but one of the things where there's tremendous room for
improvement is in giving the count.  In that adrenaline-filled moment, when the
very first, "A-one....  a-two...." seals the fate of the song's tempo, I get it
wrong at least as often as I get it right.  The song begins, and in addition to
the thrill of wondering whether I'll remember all the lyrics and sing with good
intonation is the realization, "Oh, this is WAY too slow!  Rats!"  (Or, less
often, too fast.)

Can any of you suggest any mental "tricks" that work?  (Any trick that works
more than twice is a method....)

Thanks in advance.

Elizabeth H. (aka "Tin Lizzie")