Re: [Harp-L] Digitech "B" stock

Robert Coble wrote:
<The term "b stock" usually means the following for eBay items (from Yahoo Answers):
<
<"Factory b-stock is already used merchandise
< that comes with a new warranty. It is not refurbished and may have
<significant cosmetic blemishes or missing accessories. Factory b-stock is items that was loaned out to say broadcasters for a <special event,
<like the Olympics.
<
<A dealers b-stock is already used merchandise that was returned by the customer. It does not come with factory warranty, and the <reason it was returned could be that it was broken."
<
<Sounds like factory B-Stock might be a good buy, but dealer's B-Stock might be a "pig in a poke." BTW, "B-Stock" is not one of <the eBay condition codes. The condition code for the link you gave is "New." That does not seem (to ME) to be consistent with <"B-Stock." Caveat emptor.
<

Like Bob said on the definition.  For the record, I own more RPs than most of the people on this list ever will.  I have three RP200s (which I don't use much anymore--anyone interested?), one each of the 150, 155, 250, 255, 350, and 500, and two RP355s, for a grand total of 11 RPs. (I can't do a patch set for a device unless I have the device to test it on.) The only one I bought new was my first RP200.  The rest were all used and B-stock.  B-stock generally costs more than used, because B-stock has a full factory warranty.  To my mind, the warranty makes B-stock less risky than used, and I only buy used when the price is below 50% of new.

If the warranty is good and the dealer stands behind it, B-stock generally saves money.  My first RP355 was B-stock purchased from ProAudio Star in Brooklyn, NY.  The device failed within a few days and I sent it back to them for a replacement, which they provided promptly and cheerfully.  I don't recall whether I paid the postage for the device going back to them, but they did all the rest. Overall I saved about $30 off the $200 purchase price for a new RP355, and the second device is still in my rig.  I bought my second RP355 used from guitarcenter.com, because its condition was excellent and the price was $99, about half the original retail price.  That's still working fine too.  Buying used from a dealer like Guitar Center is less risky (and often less expensive, based on my experience) than buying from someone on eBay, because most dealers offer a 15-day warranty.  That's plenty of time to turn the thing on and see if it works as advertised, and in most cases if it does so the first time you turn it on it'll keep working for a while.

So I guess the question re: B-stock and used gear is: do you trust the dealer to stand behind the warranty?  I have had very good luck with most of the online retailers in this regard, e.g. Musiciansfriend.com, sweetwater.com, americanmusical.com, zzounds.com, guitarcenter.com, as well as with some large independents like ProAudio Star. You can find ratings of many vendors on the internet, and it's worth checking those ratings before you make a deal.

One other thing: when you're buying used, it's best not to hurry.  Find out what new costs, and don't buy anything else until you see a deal that offers a really good price with acceptable risk.  A good warranty is an acceptable risk for me.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick