Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Carbon Fiber Reeds, 3D printing, plastic metal adhesion technology...?

I'll add my .02 cents to the other topics in the subject line.

I'm surrounded by the 3D technology at work although I work on the end product not the design. One of the people that does the 3D printing design told me
yesterday that he can now take a photo of the image he created on the monitor on his iPhone and email it to the in house printer or a subcontractor. Yes, they have an app for that too.

Since designs and printers are shared within a business or outsourced for completion printers are given an email address. If you know the address you can send the image in email form for the printer to do it's business.

I think 3D printing still need some quarks worked out. Great for CNC use but perhaps a few years away from ironing out the kinks. Our printer at work is about the size of 2 large side by side refrigerators. There is a built in degree of failure every so many prints. The manufacturers tell you to expect it. What comes out is a glob of plastic with the designed product barely recognizable. We design during the day and send the info to the printer to print overnight. Every 2 weeks we lose a days worth of work. Luckily it's still in the computers so it can be reset and reprinted.
It could be great for parts but I don't think reeds would be one of them. They would need to be tuned in production.

There are a few companies now that print in metal. We send designs to a company in Texas to do the work and get it back in 2 days. The problem I see with that technology is the surface of the metal is very porous and a platinum and gold based alloys are used. $$$$. I doubt you could create a brass alloy. Brass isn't laser friendly. Printing works better with noble metals. We have a laser welder at work and it will do every metal except brass. Plasma welders are the same.

The technology is there to make all sorts of parts for harmonicas but I think reeds will be made the old school way for awhile. Time would be better spent trying to make
a springy titanium alloy.

My employer is at a trade show in Chicago this weekend so he may come back with some improved technology.

Take Care
Mike
www.harmonicarepair.com