RE: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 114, Issue 24

It is therefore essential to check that the guy in the next apartment ISN'T eating spaghetti before you try this!! Sorry, couldn't resist!!
Steve Jennings

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Leone
Sent: 15 February 2013 12:56
To: Michael Easton
Cc: Harp L Harp L
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 114, Issue 24

On Feb 15, 2013, at 6:18 AM, Michael Easton wrote:

> Brian,
> I have a variable speed Dremel and yet it's too fast at the slowest speed. When I was still using it to tune reeds I connected it to an on/off foot pedal and
> pumped it to keep it from revving up to full speed at the lowest setting.

Mike Easton always has great advice.

Some foot pedals for sewing machines will work.  They are just a rheostat or potentiometer. Some motors have a 'tickling current' that is still too high and by the time the motor's armature activates, they are already way up into their power range. Motors get their fullest torque AT activation. Sooo, a little shopping around is in order. Some of the chandelier dimmers will work.

> Those that want to try using the Brownies should note that a Dremel can be  too fast and has too much torque.  The speed needs to be regulated. Some guys  use
> rotary nail buffers found in beauty aid stores.

The nice thing about the buffers is that you can make a wooden spacer and use only ONE battery. The resultant reduction in inch ounces of torque will allow the tool to stall before and serious
damage is done. But I STILL think you have to have a light touch. As an alternative to batteries,  model train transformer OR a lawn and garden light transformer will work. They are D.C. and will run small battery operated stuff.

>  Low torque and gets the job done.   What you use doesn't matter as long as you don't let the tool control you.
>
> I own a Dremel device that allows me handsfree operation for vertical or horizontal use. I have it set up now to use as a bench lathe.

The thing about double shafted motors (such as the Baldor units) is that if you hook up a hand set to them, they are still way too powerful unLESS you either have a speed reducer OR an electronical wattage limiter..such as a rheostat. Motors in that size range can be as much as 360 watts. (Nearly 1/2 horsepower when spooled up). Fine for a TEETH..not fine for reeds. Catch a reed wrong and it could send a reed right through the drywall of your apartment and into the man in the next apartment whom is eating his spaghetti.

smokey-joe