Re: [Harp-L] a business systems look at harmonica fastenings.

On Feb 8, 2013, at 5:03 AM, karen mass wrote:

> i think this is actually a pretty good analysis of a business decision.
> and it indicates a business model which i believe suzuki and other reed
> welders are pursuing.
>
> the other side of the analysis would be:
>
> a) the manufacturers haven't cut the prices on their harps in comparison to
> non-welding companies, at least not that i could find on the web.  this
> means any cost saving due to the use of welding is passed directly on to
> the manufacturer, not the consumer.
>
> b) by welding reeds into place, they  raise the price of changing a reed on
> a harmonica to the purchase price of a new harmonica instead of the price
> of a new reed.  that's good business for the manufacturer, not so good for
> the consumer.  of course, repair set tool costs would have to be factored
> in, but over time would probably be small.
>
> the only part of the analysis i would argue with is about the costs for the
> spot welding set up.  the cost of set up for a spot welder is a
> non-recurring cost.

True, the 'second' barrel of welding would be $100.oo, then $10.oo, then ? It was only an analogy to show the gradually increasing costs of
going with more (shall we say) involved fastenings.  :)  Example? see part on machine screws with matching nuts.

smo-joe