Subject: [Harp-L] Koch Chromatic

Hi Greg: the Koch chromatic has long had its advocates as well  as
detractors. For those who play chromatics primarily (non-diatonic  players), the
Koch doesn't seem to measure up as a 'real'  chromatic mainly because of its
lack of valves, huge square mouthpiece  holes and that darned leakiness.

IF one's using it for playing outside in cold weather, however (its  main
use for chromatic players who need one for that purpose), and can get it
reasonably air tight (lots of discussion on how to do so on Slidemeister),  you
can have yourself a solid little (but not perfect) instrument.

As with everything, it's simply a matter of taste and personal  'fit'. I
have one and have never enjoyed playing it. It just doesn't fit me  well and I
have so many others which do, but I've kept it around until deciding  what
to do with it and where and to whom I might donate it one of these days. It
WILL find its real home eventually.

For others who might be interested, they come up fairly often for sale on
EBay for fairly low prices and in usually close to new condition.

Elizabeth
PS: If you don't have the cold weather issue you could also try
'half-valving' it, a/la PTGazell/Brendan Power's diatonic methods just to see  if that
gives you better sound/air response. The valves can easily be  removed
again if they don't work for you.

"Message: 11