Re: [Harp-L] Harrison Patent application number: 20090308223

I agree. This patent appears to be very narrow, with many detailed claims referring to the covers.  For this reason, I'm guessing that it would be very easy to avoid by making some inconsequential change to the cover design.

Here is an 1895 patent for a machine that milled reeds in the longitudinal direction. See http://www.google.com/patents/US545831

Anything that is published, patented anywhere, obvious, or already in the public domain cannot be patented.  For this reason, Brad could not patent this feature.  I think that such a patent would have to be on some unique aspect of the reed itself and not the process that made it.  Of course there are process patents but this is not one of them.

I am not a patent attorney but for several years I was the patent coordinator for my employer working with our patent attorneys.  I am inventor on 6 patents. One of them made some money for my employer.  The others are just not-very-interesting pieces of paper. A patent and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee.

 Can any of you patent attorneys confirm or deny the above?

Vern