[Harp-L] Harp Clubs

Hey harp buddies,

I am a member of The HarpHeads in Bakersfield, CA.  We meet once a month on a Thursday evening and have from three to six harps players and a rhythm section.  We are not a Harmonicats type of club -- only diatonics, no chromatics, chord or bass harmonicas.  It's a small club, allowing everyone to play on every song.  We do blues, country, rock and lots of rhythm & blues.  We harpists have learned to share the spot light -- alternating with playing solo, rhythm, counter point, chugs, bass, etc.  We also practice technique, including ideas from Harp-L.  It is a blast.

Roberto Bonfiglio did a concert with the Bakersfield Symphony this March.  One of our members, a former student, was able to get him to give us a 3-hour workshop before the evening rehearsal (which we got to attend for free).  He taught lots of techniques useful for both chromatic and diatonic - breath control, groove, maintenance, tongue blocking, etc.  What a marvelous musician.  We were so inspired.

East Side Johnny Wonderly founded The HarpHeads a decade ago and still leads it.  That club also help to found the Kern River Blues Society four year ago.  It meets the 2nd and 3rd Saturday afternoon of every month.  This give us lots of others to jam with and many opportunities with five hours to do so.  For the last four year, The HarpHeads and other members of the KRBS have performed amplified acoustically (no keyboard, electric guitars or basses) at the Bakersfield Blues Festival between the world-renown stage acts.  Last month five of the HarpHeads (three harps and electric bass & guitar) performed at a Southern Gospel concert doing two hymns in a rhythm & blues style.  The audience loved it.  I hope we do that kind of thing many more times.  We are few but have a rich harmonica culture.

Without one strong leader to lead us, The HarpHeads would have faded into memory years ago.  That's what it takes.  The club doesn't have to be large to be worthwhile.  Thanks Johnny.

Hopefully this little blurb will inspire a few of you to start a harp club.

Tom Richardson
Bakersfield, CA.