Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH convention locations.

Arthur: I don't believe Americans having passports or not would be the real
 issue in going to Vancouver for a SPAH.

SPAH is an American organization and most of us simply wouldn't be willing
to travel THAT far away or out of the Country since there still are several
 Stateside clubs willing and able to help put on a SPAH (the very
willingness of  St. Louis' Gateway Club to take on the task 2 years in a row due to
SPAH  getting a great deal on the Hotel, speaks to this issue).

I completely disagree though with the idea of having SPAH 'in one place'
every year as has been suggested and know for a fact that very many SPAH
members  feel as I do because I've asked. The chance to travel to other parts of
the  Country (if we aren't able to ever have it in our own specific areas),
is a  plus. You're not the only one out of the loop--it'll never be held in
the New  York area either for various reasons including the considerable
expense which means I'LL have to almost always fly to 'wherever' despite my
extreme distaste for and discomfort with flying. I make the sacrifice
because SPAH's worth it. The single time I might have been able to get  there via
a road trip--Virginia Beach, illness prevented my attendance.  Rats! Mais,
c'est la vie.

Like Emile said: it'd be lovely to have it held there again purely for my
own selfish wish to experience a SPAH reasonably close to where I could get
to  without flying....but is the Virginia Club willing or able to do it
again so  soon? Big question. Does New Orleans have people willing to put in the
work  necessary? I don't believe so, but am curious since I've never had a
chance to  visit New Orleans. My personal thoughts are that Florida might
certainly have a  big enough club (or a couple of clubs which could join
together) to host a  SPAH--but would those clubs have an accessible airport?
These are all  valid questions the BOD has to consider.

We DO know that Texas is always willing to host (I missed Dallas too) and
there are a couple of clubs there as are the people in California:
SPAH,Sacramento and Denver were two really great SPAH's to my mind.

Kickstarter sounds intriguing, but how would one go about that? How to
educate the people involved about all that they'd need to know TO put on a SPAH
 --when the various harmonica clubs which have already done so have it down
to a  science? As well, as far as I know all kickstarter campaigns require
funding by a cut-off-date. Why would there be a requirement for funds and
what  happens if/when SPAH turns the City running that campaign down? Usually
there  are a few submissions and no guarantees.

The idea that clubs are not recruiting newer and younger members is
actually not true. I know of two clubs in particular where younger members have
joined up in serious numbers over the past 2 - 3 years. People in their 30's
and  40's. They're the right age to be around for a while and able to
volunteer. It  took serious work on the part of a couple of good people to get out
 and recruit--many clubs don't seem to feel they should. I believe that's
where a  lot of the problems of 'defunct' clubs stem from. Anything can be
accomplished  with some effort and using one's smarts with today's technology.

This SPAH had more even younger people in attendance than I've ever seen
before. Encouraging their participation with the realization that SPAH will
eventually be in their hands is already having its effect from the
conversations  I enjoyed with some of these interesting young people. They were eager
to learn  more.

The groundwork is done and I think a lot of the 'worry' is pretty much a
tempest in a teapot stirred up by folks who don't seem content unless
they're complaining about something; creating concern where there shouldn't be.  I
think you shouldn't worry unnecessarily about the future of SPAH since I
honestly feel it'll be in good hands.

Elizabeth

PS: your comment about the average age-range of the St. Louis Club being in
 their 'mid-70's' is a bit unfair, though. Those who are considerably
younger  might feel a bit put out by being described as older, and those I  saw
certainly ran circles around me, for one. And IF you saw him in action,  Stan
Harper at 92 played and joked as sharply as he did when years younger.  I
noticed only that he felt the cold a bit (as usual, some Hotel rooms were
freezing, but that's typical of Hotels)...he's as brilliant a wit and  player
as he always was. So 'tis true: harmonica playing seems to keep one a lot
healthier and younger than the rest of the population so 'mid-70's' is
nothing  to be overly concerned about today. :)