Re: [Harp-L] Re: SPAH convention locations

If you want to "model" what became the world's largest jazz convention - IAJE -, they started by having the convention in a different city every year. New York worked the best, so the next step was to alternate New York with a different location every other year. They found that Toronto was the best alternate city, so finally the convention moved between these two cities every other year.

Once the production and accommodations were in place, it became very easy.

-----Original Message-----
From: BluzeHarp <BluzeHarp@xxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, Aug 30, 2013 10:38 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: SPAH convention locations

Many, many hundreds of unpaid volunteer hours go  into planning a SPAH
convention.  A large share of  those hours go toward selecting and contracting a

hotel.   Someone then has to lay out vendor-seminar-ballroom spaces,
someone else has to find sound and backline providers,  others figure out
transportation options and work  to establish duties/roles with the host club.
There's  a hundred + EXTRA things like this to do every time SPAH  changes
locations.  The staff works for free, but  obviously there are expenses in
regard to travel and lodging  during a hotel search.  There's also a lot of
sacrifice involved,  family dynamics and work schedules are often disrupted
while
a  convention is being put together.  While it's a labor of love,  it's
nonetheless a labor of large proportion.

As a staffer only since 2012, I  already can see the enormous amount of
resources it takes to  pull up our stakes and move every year.  Having the
convention  repeat in the same location makes tons of sense, especially so for
2014 as the  St Louis Renaissance Hotel was so outstanding.  Repeating
causes around 80 percent of the above mentioned work  to disappear.  With the
logistics already in  place fine tuning becomes possible, which is  likely to
result in an even better convention experience for  everyone.  Call me
selfish, but with the decreased  workload I'm hoping that I'll be able to attend

at least one  seminar in 2014... an actual sit down lunch would be pretty
cool too!

This next bit is me speaking as a private citizen, it is not an official
position or opinion of SPAH, nor does it have anything to do with the
decision to stay in St Louis in 2014, I came on board after that was in  place.

Because of this newly gained perspective I've become an  advocate for moving
the convention on two or even three year  cycles instead of annually, I
honestly believe that SPAH would be stronger  and better if this was adopted.
As local clubs shrink and  membership demographics change we will need to
find ways to partner  with entities who can add support to the ongoing efforts
of the clubs.  These aren't simple issues  requiring but small amounts of
consideration, the  personal resources needed to address these questions will
have to come  from somewhere.  The 'break' provided by multi-year location
cycles  could provide a way to fulfill these types of needs.

Christopher Richards
Staging & Production - SPAH