Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] SPAH 2013

I do too, Mike--the thing is..it's been discussed and thought about and
pondered for SEVERAL years now (ever since I suggested the idea and  requested
that we try to do it ages ago).

I quite understand the difficulties. There's so much going on at a SPAH
(especially this 50th Anniversary)...and Manfred DID ask for other
contributors  to Seminars before SPAH so there might have been space for such a thing,
but my  idea (long ago), was to have something similar to the late-night
jazz jam they  held one night at Buckeye. Oh it was fabulous: the lights were
dimmed,  tablecloths appeared on round tables with small glass candles giving
the  illusion of a nightclub, and the good players took turns getting up on
 stage with some backing (I think a trio) and had at it.

I was entranced by that evening although very  intimidated by the playing
level and the idea began cooking if we couldn't  eventually plan to do
something similar on a lesser scale for us newbies who  weren't yet ready to jam
onstage along with the big guns. Maybe WE could have a  more casual circle or
seated around similar candle-lit tables where  we'd be totally relaxed in a
'homey' type of setting for those hoping to learn  how to improv? We don't
require  musicians--backing tracks would  be enough - Phil Caltabellotta has
long been bringing his Bose player to  SPAH and doing afternoon jazz jams
using either Hal Leonard or Music Minus One  CD's, which gatherings are
always well-attended (but Enrico  Granafei lent us his guitar in a lobby at GSHC
one late night--which is  where I first enjoyed Take 5, in fact). That was
very cool since he played for  and catered to everyone willing to give it a
try. It helped fuel my thoughts  about this 'amateur jazz evening'. I still
can't play Take 5 although I  must have filmed dozens of harmonicists playing
it--mostly on chromatic, but  when Chris Michalek and Peter 'MadCat' Ruth
got up to Jam on their  diatonics, that was fabulous. With Peter we were
getting THE guy who still plays  with Chris Brubek. There's a video out there
somewhere of him guesting with  Randy Singer in Brazil I think it was, both
playing Take 5. Fabulous. I've loved  that tune forever--want to master it
very much.

I don't want this 'Amateur jazz' dream to be an early morning or even
afternoon seminar--to my mind that doesn't lend itself to jazz improv (at least
for me). I'd love to have the room set up just for those willing to spend
some  time with a couple of those great (and very giving) teachers such as
Phil,  Smokey or Rob whom I already know are more than comfortable stepping
back to  allow others to play while providing pointers.

 To me there's nothing worse than the fluorescent lighting in the  typical
Hotel seminar room. Atmosphere is everything and a 'supper  club'/evening
type set up can be so conducive to better playing, and is  what I see in my
mind's eye. ...so this will take some 'extras'. Getting the  room for a couple
of hours (at the right time) with the materials  (tablecloths/candles,
etc.) which I wouldn't mind providing but how to get  them there from
NY?...logistics get in the way. The problem too is that it  would be ruined if it
turned into yet another showcase for the jazz players  who'd be sure to stop in,
which any jazz play tends to do the moment any of the  great players come
into the room. I wouldn't want to play in front of them,  frankly.

I originally discussed my ideas with Smokey and others years ago and he's
been pondering how to make it work ever since. Separately he'd also been
thinking of an amateur jazz teaching seminar, which is a wee bit different
from  what I've had in mind. We've tried to figure out ways to combine our
ideas. So  far it's still a dream, but I'm sure that ONE of these days and at
ONE of these  SPAHs we'll figure out a way to put it together.

At least it's something to aim for. :)

"Smo-Joe
I like the Jazz / jam/ seminar ....thingie idea !

Mike  Wilbur"

On Aug 28, 2013, at 7:48 PM, Joseph Leone  <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2013, at 11:18  AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:
>> Phil and MadCat would have brought to  those jams and sure would have
>> loved hearing Take 5 the way I've  heard you all play it before. No one
took
>> it on this time. So--next  year--same town, same same hotel. Meet us in
St.
>> Louis, and  SOMEbody make sure to play Take 5 for me, please? :)
>>
>>  Best,
>>
>> Elizabeth
>
> Wasn't aware that you  liked that one. I was going to do it. Eb minor.
(Or straight no chaser), but  there were so many great players there
> that I only played one tune. Too  intimidarted. Anyway, it wasn't about
me. I am grateful to all my players for  helping make it all possible.

> I have been musing on that 'jazz  jam for beginers' thingie' and
consulting with someone. I'm thinking about a  seminar for next year?
> Maybe a seminar one day and some jams in the  following days. I would
need some backing tracks? Still giving it some thought.