Re: [Harp-L] Chrom in Dixieland front line

On Aug 28, 2013, at 11:55 AM, Chesper Nevins wrote:

> Thanks Dennis and Joe,
>
> At first, I assumed the harmonica would naturally replace the trumpet,

It can. I played trumpet for years. Until my face was smashed. That ended that. Killer Joe (basically a trumpet tune), is great on harp.

> but when I sat in with a group, I found that I felt somewhat redundant with the clarinet timbre-wise.

Uh-huh, when our clarinet player plays, I don't play harmonica. And when 'I' play clarinet, he switches to sax.

>  (Except the clarinet could play all kinds of things (especially intervallic things) I couldn't play very well, lol.)

Depends, if you change YOUR key and play in another key, it sometimes works. Example: Instead of playing Bb on a C, I may play F on an F chromatic. It comes across AS Bb, BUT the timbre is different. You can also adjust to get more notes at the ENDS of the phrases on draw notes. AND you can adjust to use the slide for fast frills.

>  Mainly, I felt that the chrom was swallowed up by the three other horns, with very little space to play.

Now THAT's tue. Our horns down here tend to be prima donnas, and over play.

>  I would like to try replacing one horn with chrom, as you both suggest, if I ever get the chance...

Work it out with the leader beforehand. I use chromo and diatonic on the same tunes, and we do a lot 'Trad' (dixieland) stuff.

smo-joe