[Harp-L] Re: Is Kaboom Stil Safe?

I would NOT recommend using Kaboom or any other caustic cleaner for harmonicas.  It will etch the brass and compromise your reeds.

>From general cleaning I submerge the harps in an IMS-II (Roman numeral 2) sanitizing solution in an ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes, and then rinse and dry with a clean towel and some warm air (not hot) from a hair dryer.  Please note: All my harps have plastic or composite combs.  I do NOT recommend soaking wooden combs.  If you must clean/disinfect a harp with a wooden comb, then just dip and agitate it in the sanitizing solution quickly, and then dry it out right away.

For a more thorough cleaning/tuning, I take the harp apart and clean the reed plates with Brasso and an old toothbrush. Then I wash all the parts in the IMS-II ultrasonic tank, rinse and dry everything, and then reassemble and fine tune the reeds.

I hope this information helps.

Best Regards,
Pat Powers