Re: [Harp-L] How a Gang of Harmonica Geeks Saved the Soul of the Blues Harp | Collectors Weekly

The idea on Marine Bands was to:

1... Take them apart. One reed plate at a time.
2... Cut an emory board in half.
3... Ease (break in machinists parlance) the edges of the tines. Don't overdo it.
4... Take the plate that was removed and ease the edge of the plate that was under the cover.
5... Replace that plate. And cover.
6... Take off the other plate and ease that edge.
7... Assemble harp. Rub Vick's Vapo rub on the eased comb edges. It kept the moisture out.
8... IF cover plates not perfect run a tiny bead of Elmer's glue and run it in with finger tip, wipe with wet tissue, let dry, and you're good to go.

I never cut my lips, but if one wasn't shaved correctly the corners of the mouth WOULD get abraded. No matter what.
When I switched to spl-20s, I never had another problem and could delete ALL of the above.

For 270 chromos. Run the emory board at 45 degree angle on ALL 48 edges of the 12 mouthpiece openings. Case solved. lolol

smo-joe