Re: [Harp-L] Hohner MB reed replacement tap punch size

I think what you meant to say is that you are looking for a punch to remove riveted reeds from Marine Band plates.

A "tap" is a tool used for cutting screw threads inside a hole. See:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=s9_dnav_bw_ir01_s?node=228013,!468240,328182011,551238,13399871,256324011&search-alias=tools&bbn=13399871&sort=pmrank&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=1EB052V494VGXKDV7B5K&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1400453902&pf_rd_i=13399871

 Marine Band reeds are attached with rivets, not solder.

The rivets are about .040" in diameter.  A somewhat smaller punch of about .035" would work. You are not likely to find a punch of this diameter for sale.  You may have to buy a somewhat larger punch and grind it down.  In grinding it down, you must take care not to heat it up and spoil the temper of the steel.  Even if you are successful in doing this, you are not home free.The support of the plate under the reed being removed is very important.  This is a delicate operation.  Everything is very small.  The brass plate is soft and easily damaged. Special tools such as the Hohner reed removal tool, even though expensive, work better than just a hammer and punch.

Replacing reeds is among the more ticklish tasks that harmonica technicians do.  Without saying that reed removal can't be done with a hammer and punch, you would find it much less ticklish to use a special tool.

Vern