[Harp-L] SPAH 50th

I have heard many rave reviews of this years convention. I am very happy
for all that attended and of course for the team(s) that put the event
together.

Many friends have asked me if I am "sour grapes" over the election last
year and if this is why I did not attend these last two years after ten in
a row. This is very far from the truth. Financial issues have made me happy
to just be a stay at home harp player for now. No gigging as of late
either. Another major factor was that I enjoyed being a part of the "team"
whose mission is to preserve and advance the harmonica. I much prefer to
work at an event than to just be a spectator. That is just my nature.

I understand that the larger crowd at the convention this year made some a
little uncomfortable. Fear of growth is not productive. The adjusting to
the growth to fulfill "the mission" is what matters. Sounds like the
team(s) adjusted well this year with the "swollen crowd". When Bob and I
ran for office last year our main platform was to focus on growing the
organization as a whole not just grow the convention. Obviously this met
with deaf ears from the members. They have spoken and I respect that. My
thoughts and opinions have not wavered since Winslows landslide victory. I
still believe that an organization whose mission statement is to preserve
and advance the harmonica should do more than just a 5 day party. An
incredible party for those that can afford it leaves 360 days and many
"outsiders" out in the cold. This is the way it has been and looks to
continue. I think this is just fine and wonderful, honestly. What it does
do is make me work on my plan to possibly create an international 365 day a
year entity that is inclusive in a number of ways to all lovers of the
harmonica. My working title for this concept has evolved into: Harmonica
360. The last thing I would ever want to do is "compete" with or affect
SPAH negatively in any way. I just want to see what I can do with the 360
days left on the table before and after the convention. I just want to see
people from all over the world be able to invest what they can afford to be
a part the of the advancing and preserving. The internet makes this
possible. If this dream ever comes to fruition I envision not a big annual
event in one place but home grown harmonica celebrations taking place in
many places around the globe. No politics...just passion :-)

Peace and congratulations again to Winslow, the SPAH team and the St. Louis
club. You done good and from what I can tell nobody went home without a
smile.

Warren Bee ( past publicity director for SPAH)