Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Pocket full of Soul Kickstarter appeal

Ken: I think you're mistaking two young guys who started out on a wing and
a prayer and with only the money in their pockets, with a 'film company'.

They've been funding this project since day one with whatever means they
can manage--mostly on their own. I remember having a conversation with Todd
Slobin way back during SPAH 2006 and watching him exhaustedly hiking his
camera  to the foot of the stage as he shot as much footage as possible of
Jason Ricci  and then sitting to film many of the interviews which later made it
into  the movie (which I recently saw in NYC, btw). It cost me a 'huge' 10
bucks  and was worth every penny. Even my husband loved it--and he's
anything but a  harmonica fan.

They screened the movie THREE times for SPAH 2013 attendees btw, and then
had a round-table discussion which I reluctantly missed due to illness.
Dennis Gruenling who stopped in for only 12 hours in the middle of a tour was
very happy to participate in that. I only got to see Dennis for a short time
the  night before so was sad to miss the discussion, and him.

When I suggested back in 2006 that Todd go to Robert  Bonfiglio's Grand
Canyon Seminar the following week (because I thought the  Canyon would provide
some fabulous background footage), I remember him  explaining that he
doubted he could afford the gas to make the trip because  they were on such a
tight budget.

I'M one who's going to help fund the kickstarter campaign not only because
the film is SO good and I think it should be seen by everyone, but  because
I also want a DVD copy for myself and to show to family and friends.  After
all, isn't it up to the individual how their money is spent and whether or
not to participate? We have a dearth of harmonica movies--who else has
taken the  time and trouble to immortalize current American harmonica players on
film?  We've already lost some of those shown in the movie since they began
this  project.

I loved everything about the film, including MadCat's song chosen as the
theme. HE doesn't seem to mind at all and his song is getting great  exposure
plus I've heard other of the submissions being played around  SPAH. One of
those who submitted a song told me at the time: 'So what? It's  only a
single song out of the hundreds I write. No biggie.'

You have a different perspective as a Pro and I respect that, but I  think
you're comparing apples to oranges with your examples and mistaking  these
guys for big-time movie producers when they're not.

Elizabeth

"Message: 9