[Harp-L] SPAH

I posted this on Facebook, but I think it also belongs here:

"I spent last week at a convention of harmonica players...I know - it kinda
sounds like torture and there is some of that, but I'm struck by how many
GREAT musicians come together at SPAH. I can't imagine a guitar
convention/event where you can hang around with and take lessons from
Robben Ford or Eric Clapton; a sax event where you can have lunch with
David Sanborn, and share a bottle of nice Scotch with Branford Marsalis at
3 a.m. At SPAH, the harmonica equivalent of those superstars are accessible
in a way that is hard to imagine to non-harp players. It's a pretty
supportive community. Toots Thielemans, Charlie McCoy, Howard Levy, Mark
Ford, Kim Wilson, Madcat, Jason Ricci, Steve Guyger, Dennis Gruenling, Joe
Filisko - the list of iconic harp players I've met and hung out with at
SPAH is mind boggling. It is alternatively inspiring and intimidating.
Now there is a whole group of amazing younger players I haven't had time to
get to know that are playing great jazz and blues and country and....well,
everything! The overall skill level at SPAH has advanced unbelievably since
I first attended twenty or so years ago.
Pretty cool."

--
Later,
Rosco