Re: [Harp-L] Re: SPAH award criteria

On Aug 9, 2013, at 1:45 PM, Richard Hunter wrote:

> The Iceman wrote:
> <I only hope SPAH can get back on track with membership..at one time, the vibes were good and membership levels were reaching near <1300. Something changed and members "voted" by dropping out of SPAH.

Only partially true. I DO know that several people were not happy with the previous state of affairs where open mike time was either restricted or the locale of said even was in some side room. I was able to find out that the consensus of opinion was that the open mike should be held out in the open. This has been the norm for the past several years.

> An alternative view is that nothing changed, demographics did their work, and much of the membership simply died. That wasn't a vote on SPAH; it was the natural consequence of an increasingly aged membership.  It would be a very interesting research project to take the 1998 membership list and see how many of those people are still alive.

I already do that. And have done so since joining in 91. Every time a roster comes out, I high light those whom I know (green). I also high light those whom have either died (orange), or are now too old, sick, disabled, financially embarrassed, or have given up (yellow).

> Note also that the peak of membership in 1998 coincided with a big influx of diatonic harp players into SPAH, which at the time, in terms of demographics, meant a generation of 30- and 40-somethings entering the organization.  Most of those 30- and 40-somethings are now 50- and 60-somethings, meaning that the demographic boost SPAH got from that wave is coming to an end.

I agree. Also, using the  local S.W. Florida contingent as a guide, I have sitting here in front of me a group picture taken at spah 2003 Dallas which contains the SECOND LARGEST state group that was AT that convention. There were 17. Now of that 17, the results are as follows:
1... 1 Is broke and can't afford to pay attention.
2... 3 are dead
3... 7 are either in nursing homes, have moved back north to be near children..for security, or have dropped back in expenses because of the economy and the effect it has had on their retirement investments.
4... 1 just quit

This leaves 5 possible people. 1 is too old to care any more, 2 would rather spend the money elsewhere, and that leaves the wife and I. The wife only goes every tenth year. 1993, 2003, 2013. This year we will both be at the convention.

> Harmonica festivals in general seem to be in rough shape, at least in the USA. Buckeye is gone. The Garden State Festival, based on emails I've seen on this list, may be next.  I don't know what the answer is, but I know that it involves dramatically increasing participation of players in their 20s and 30s.

The Cardinal State (Virginia) group is made up of an consortium of 3 clubs. They do not charge a national dues. They do not have a magazine. They do not have corporate sponsors. At least I am unaware of any. They operate at a loss. They do it for the love of the harmonica. How do they do it? How long can it last?

Joe no nose