[Harp-L] Re: U blocking

Hi, Tony,

Generally I tongue block at the lower end of the harp (holes 1-6), and pucker at the top end, including blow bends.  I use U-blocking on my chromatic harp because it seems to give me the best tone on that axe.  My teacher (Michael Rubin) urged me to U-block for blow bends at the high end of the harp, and I tried it and  *can*, but I prefer pucker for that because it serves me just as well, and because it reduces the need to switch embouchures any more than necessary.

I just got out a harp and tried draw bending on the low end with a U-block embouchure, and it’s definitely possible.  It didn’t sound as good as my tongue-block bends, but I have years of practice at those.  So, if you’re looking for proof of concept, yes, it’s possible to bend with a U-block embouchure.

The thing that helped the most with my bends (and overblows, when it was time for that) was playing long tones.  When you hold a bend for an extended time -- as best you can -- there will be subtle shifts in the quality of the tone.  Pitch, too, as it happens.  The idea is to give your brain time and opportunity to register the correlation between what a tone  *sounds*  like and what the mouth/jaw/tongue/throat shape  *feels*  like.  Over time -- given ample opportunity -- your brain will start consistently selecting the shape that gives the best tone (and pitch).

Hang in there.  Harmonica is a long-term relationship, and patient persistence really does pay off.

Best,
Elizabeth H. (aka “Tin Lizzie”)