[Harp-L] Steel reeds and tuning at the root

You were perceptive to notice that your 1847 stainless steel reeds were not
tuned at the root of the reeds. I must take the covers off my own five year
old 1847 and see whether the same applies.

Having a mechanical engineering background I would agree with you that
introducing 'stress raisers' at the point of maximum stress in a component
subject to cyclical loadings is not a good idea.

Since purchasing and playing an 1847 I have become a convert to stainless
steel reeds. I am looking forward to getting my hands on one of Seydel's new
"Samplers", which apparently feature S/S reeds in a chromatic "chassis".

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana