Re: [Harp-L] Re: Sad news: Bobby Bland in the hospital

I don't have all the details, but Bobby Bland is in the hospital and very close to the end.

I worked at a record store in the late 60's that had a big following among older Black people, for some reasons. (Old probaby meant over 30 for me back then.)

We'd play records upon request, and at least twice a day someone would come in and say "Wanna hear bobbablueblam." Some other kid working at the store explained what 'bobbablueblam' meant.

Playing those 45's for the old folks was a gigantic treat. These were folks who generally couldn't stand white teenagers, or probably ANY teenagers, and felt free to not conceal the fact.

The first time I heard a Bobby Blue Bland record it knocked me over. When it had finished I looked the crabby old person if they minded if I played it again. The first time I did it the old person warmed up and we started laughing.

It didn't always work. Some old people are just unshakeably crabby.

Everybody knows that.