Re: [Harp-L] Recording for "Copper" with the Digitech RP255

"rex" wrote:
<I really like my Digitech RP155 and Hunter patches for playing through an amp. However I haven't had any luck recording through <the USB. I use Audacity. It sees the RP155. If I choose the RP as the mic in and the computer speakers as the output it will not <show anything on the mic monitor. If I choose the RP for both the in and the out then the mic monitor shows a good signal, same <signal as with my computer mic and soundcard through audacity. But when I actually record the level is very, very, very low. Crank <the replay all the way up (selecting the computer speakers again) and can barely hear it. My cheap computer mic and soundcard can <blast real loud. Is there some setting on the RP that I don't know about? The manual is no help. I got on a couple guitar forums <and several others have this problem with different model RPs.

I don't know what the problem is--I've never had this issue recording with my RPs.  The first thing I'd check is the master volume on the RP, which is the rightmost knob.  Crank that up until your master level is in the neighborhood of 70 or so, and see how that works. Also, check to see that Audacity is using a recording format that matches what the RP will put out--either 16-bit 44.1kHz or 24-bit 44.1 kHz should do it. Finally, if you're on a Windows computer, check the Control Panel for Sounds to see whether the operating system knows the RP is the default recording and playback device, and turn off anything else that might be competing with it.  While we're at it, ALWAYS set the RP as BOTH the recording and playback device.

If all that doesn't work, call Digitech tech support and see what they can do.  I'd offer more, but like I said, I've never had this issue, so I don't know for sure what the solution is.

regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick