[Harp-L] Shure PE 545 Butterfield

Christopher Richardsof Twin Tone Harmonica Microphones wrote: On the older 545's the black area below the capsule vent was made of metal,  in later versions that part is made of plastic, probably the  same Armor Dur plastic that Shure has used in several other  mic's.

  Thanks, Christopher.  That metal vs. plastic part is something i don't ever recall being mentioned in all of the Harp-L discussions of "the Butterfield mic" thru the years.  I was under the impression that the Butterfield mic in question is a "545S/Unidyne III" but if Rob says it's something different, it makes me very curious.  Did Butter use the oldest version, the one without the plastic?
   My pistol grip 545S has a black plastic ring under the capsule vent, not metal; so apparently it's not the oldest, original version.  As i had described previously, my mic reads, "Shure 545S, Series 2, Unidyne III".  I wonder what "Series 2" means.  Perhaps it's the later version with the plastic ring instead of being metal?
   According to the Shure website, under Discontinued Mics (http://www.shure.com/americas/support/user-guides/discontinued-products/microphones), it shows a 545PE", but this mic is not a pistol grip and has no switch.  Did u ever see a PE545 with a pistol grip?  Thanks in advance.
ron