Subject: [Harp-L] Ouch! No Harp For A While

Wow!  So sorry to hear about your accident. Very painful injury/ies so  I
hope you're feeling somewhat better at this point (or at least that the meds
are keeping you comfortable).

The 'medical harmonica' is used mostly for COPD patients: to help clear the
 lungs of congestion (in lieu of the machine they usually use which doesn't
 have the fun factor) and encourages building lung power. With a
pneumothorax I honestly doubt it'd be something they'd suggest for you right now  so
you might need to wait a while, although playing once the pneumothorax  has
healed might help you build up your strength and lung power again.

A hospital in Baltimore uses harmonicas routinely for their COPD patients,
so might be able to give you more information as it relates directly to
your  present situation.

http://www.copdtherapeutics.com/studiesarticles.html

http://respiratory-care-sleep-medicine.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/Harm
onica-Training-Improves-Pediatric-Patients-Lung-Function.aspx

Much luck and I hope you're out of the hospital and on the mend soon.

Best,

Elizabeth

"Message: 12