Re: [Harp-L] Is Junior Wells over-rated?
- To: "harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>, Dan Hazen <bluesmandan76@xxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Is Junior Wells over-rated?
- From: Christopher Sprankle <crsprankle@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 19:03:59 -0700 (PDT)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.com; s=s1024; t=1365041039; bh=elOSC6/9U4USxMucYDD0JOv4q8VeTVUTxrQC7BhdUZs=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=u+2Ibygl+ob8IMvGblCA+xQDv5BbHwD7FH3n5DKMqXSAWUqLED4cWTpg8gjYncK/jKvjTgEZmEKre+h6bxkj6QdZpWcH4fPw1oBJn7R3p/XVXzPgPMByPeT+Ii79pTFfJbPn+oQXHv7OsmGql78qkw+71LMBZk4voPxb1jTjSmc=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=kRHWYdTBZNGI9meQ8eVUa0unOmCKjhl22Okpbh/PHEl+ZgBcSav3j8hyyrTlcEaaDMVHI4jF4kBKLRO+eeS4p4GTl0AMaH+wP90rW8gjT6WtetWhRxXiOlP/uZYFQq6YsM5b9OcMF2p4UIfrbPTZL3eNJWKjcGhPBFu7L6EDHrI=;
- In-reply-to: <CAMCBGXhEhFjyVaGe0FnwjoVKesrfNsHQBFGsNk8QwVarwTQtEA@mail.gmail.com>
The youtube vid that Dan posted is some of the worst I've heard from Junior. I've thought for a long time that Junior is a very underrated player. Back in my earlier days of playing, I didn't think he was all that great. Now I realize that he's the real deal. His timing is impeccable and nothing is as important as timing in music. Check out "Junior Wells and Buddy Guy - Alone and Acoustic." That's a great album with some very good & sparse harp playing. I would bet that it was recorded as pretty much a live record with no overdubbing and few retakes. You really get to hear a lot of the nuances of Junior's style because none of it is masked by an amp. I haven't listened to a ton of Junior's live music, so I'm sure there's some stuff out there that's just so-so. Just about all musicians have an off gig from time to time?
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and