Re: [Harp-L] Terminology: overblow, overdraw, overbend, blow-bend

A bend (draw or blow) lowers the pitch of the reed being played. The reed being played is vibrating in closing mode, whereby it moves into its slot in the reedplate and then swings back for a full vibration. A bend may involve an isolated blow or draw reed, or may involve the other reed in the same hole (blow reed with a draw bend, draw reed with a blow bend) operating in opening mode (see below).

Overblow, overdraw, and overbend (a term which includes both overblow and overdraw) are terms that refer to an action in which the player
raises the pitch of a reed, and does so by making it push away from the reedplate before it springs back, thereby playing the reed in opening mode. For instance, in Hole 6 of a diatonic C harmonica, Blow 6 is G and Draw 6 is A. You can produce B-flat by making the draw reed respond to an exhaled breath, playing it in opening mode and thereby sounding a semitone higher than its closing pitch.
Winslow Yerxa
Author, Harmonica For Dummies, ISBN 978-0-470-33729-5
            Harmonica Basics For Dummies, ASIN B005KIYPFS
            Blues Harmonica For Dummies, ISBN 978-1-1182-5269-7
Resident Harmonica Expert,
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance

 From: Robert Hale <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-L list <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> 
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2013 4:27 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Terminology: overblow, overdraw, overbend, blow-bend
Can anyone link me to the briefest, definitive definitions?

draw bend
blow bend

Just when I think I've got it, I read something that doesn't match my
understanding. (sigh)

Does this site: use overblow

Robert Hale
Spiral Advocate
Learn Harmonica by Webcam
Low Rates, High Success

This archive was generated by a fusion of Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and MHonArc 2.6.8.