[Harp-L] a Tuff Week in NYC....Hugh & Phil

Last week we lost two Heavy's in the Music Biz here in NY with strong ties to our Harmonica Community...I had the honor of working with them both over the years and they were wonderful people with huge talents. I thought it'd be a good idea to share this with our list.....

RIP

Hugh McCracken

Guitar, Diatonic & Bass Harmonica (if any of you have my CD you can hear Hugh on Bass Harp on 'Strange Brew' & on Dobro on 'Keep it Simple' also he plays E. Guitar on ' Monkey Around w/ The Late Phoebe Snow...to see the amazing volume of work he did just google his name, it's scary!. Hugh was an old friend of the Late Don Brooks who died in 2000 of Leukemia. Both loved to play harp and Golf in between all their NY sessions back in the 70-90's. Hugh left us last week after a battle with Leukemia as well.

Phil Ramone - Didn't play Harp but sure used enough of us Harmonica players in NY, I had the honor of working with Phil a on a few occassions. Even more fascinating, Phil's Mentor was someone lots of of knew in the Harmonica world. Charlie Leighton took Ramone under his wing in the 60's in NY and showed him the ropes (as an Audio Engineer) and even worked in the same studio with him. Phil went on to to win many Grammies and always spoke highly of the talents of Leighton**and influence*.

*Best,
Rob Paparozzi
http://www.robpaparozzi.com/