[Harp-L] RE: Not just another amp question.

Derwood, I feel ya. I also play both harp and guitar. I use two dedicated amps now but for decades I used one amp for both. The first amp that I found actually worked was a 1965 Vibrolux-Reverb but that was back when you could buy one without taking a 2nd mortgage. When it was stolen in 1991, I was really stuck as we were days away from leaving for a tour. I was recommended the '63 Reissue Vibroverb, the brownface one. I lucked into a deal on a new one and used that amp for 10 years before I sold when I moved out of the UK back to the States. When I got here I immediately bought another one. Best reissue amp Fender ever made IMO.

Commonly known you've got to do a speaker and tube swap. I dumped the Oxfords for a pair of Weber 10A125-O and the Chinese tube for all NOS. I play the harp through the normal channel and the guitar through the bright channel. When I swapped out the tubes I put a 12at7 in the Normal channel. Some don't like that type of tube but I use a Telefunken and it sounds pretty damn good to me. The power tubes are RCA 6l6gc blackplates, every thing else is RCA as well. I still have that amp.

A RI '63 Vibroverb will run between $750-$1000 depending on condition. Webers I think are about $75-$80 but you can find them 2nd hand sometimes. NOS tubes are tricky with people asking all sorts of crazy money, but if you do your research you can get them for a fair price. An alternative, at least for power tubes, are TAD, which I've used and found to be pretty good, or I've also heard from a vintage tube seller that the Winged C are very good for a contemporary tube.

The Verb, isn't real big but the 2x10 gives plenty of bottom. It's rated at 35 watts but I've never had mine above 6 -7 on the harp and 5 on the guitar, and still the bass player complains I'm too loud. It is more unique looking than most, has tilt back legs, and the price is holding its own and even increasing slightly. It's a great combo for both instruments. If you contact me off list I can send you a couple of recordings I did with it.