Re: [Harp-L] reeds

Mike Fugazzi writes:

I don't know if it is splitting hairs or not...and I don't know the level
of stress relative to reed shape or other modification - like making the
harp more airtight - as I haven't measured them myself.

Being that I personally don't blow many reeds, and I work towards making
that harder for others to do on my customs, I guess my focus is more on
response with the reed.  Technically, unless it is a sympathetic reed, the
reed has to have some level of arc to even sound.  If you look at a reed
offset on a really high end custom, you'll see that there is a balance of
where the gap actually starts vs how the reed closes.

If you take a toothpick, for example, and push the reed into the slot near
the tip, middle, and rivet, a very responsive reed will tend to close
(enter the gap) at essentially the same time.  If you look at the profile
from the side, you'd also see that the gap starts well before the reed tip,
but generally isn't large enough for a wealth of light to pass through.

This is all very hard to express via text and even harder with the crappy
video gear I have at home, lol.  Going back to the OP, if you are making
sure the top of the reeds aren't entering the slot when at rest, ensuring
your gaps aren't too wide or tight, and your reeds are relatively flat, you
shouldn't have too many issues.

A final comment to this post...When I gap a reed, I generally have my
forefinger and thumb supporting the back 1/2 to 2/3 of the reed by applying
gentile pressure to keep the the back half of the reed from changing its
gap.  I am doing a horrible job articulating this, but once you have the
position of the reed set near the rivet pad, you want that to stay stable
and adjust the reed shape and offset from the front half of the reed.

I*think*  we are explaining a similar thing.  That's where writing this
stuff down is difficult.  I don't think there is a universal understanding
of some of the tier two vocabulary we use.  We talk about reed curves and
arcs, but don't have a constant reference of what is an arc, how much that
arc should or shouldn't be, etc.

So I suppose the Idiot's Guide to Gapping least we need to know is you want
the reed entering the slot fairly simultaneously at all points, which would
require a relatively flat reed whose off set (gap) begins gradually from
the reed pad and not abruptly from the reed tip.

The issue with an abrupt curve, IME, is you lose response...I don't think
anyone is suggesting you do that, and AFAIK, any online or video resources
I've seen haven't show people in the know doing that, but I can see where
some explanations may confuse that.

Mike, you are are at once too self-deprecating and extraordinarily generous with your knowledge and experience.

I have never been able to figure out whether pro harmonica customizers have long been understandingly glib about revealing closely-held secrets of the trade or just unable to articulate them. In this post, quoted in its entirety out of respect, you have answered that question at least for one well-known and highly respected pro.

Contrary to your insistence throughout that you "are doing a terrible job of articulating this," IMO, this is one of the finest posts on this subject I have seen in my decade of scrutinizing Harp-l for any post that hinted toward this "holy grail" of reed customization. In fact, I would go so far as to say that this kind of post and those discussing the actual playing of our instrument are what I was hoping to find when I first joined "the L." Unfortunately, these "golden kernel" posts are few and far between herein.

I for one want to personally express my gratitude for offering such an information-packed, "open-kimono" post in which you revealed hard-earned details of your trade explained in terms most any harper can understand.

This, to me is one rare gem of an Hall of Fame Harp-L post!

Michelle

PS: For those interested in a similarly action-packed thread on the general subject of how reeds bend (and fail), I highly recommend this one on the Dirty-South Blues Harp forum:

http://www.modernbluesharmonica.com/board/board_topic/5560960/3113771.htm?page=1