From: Bob Cohen <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Sep 26, 2012 4:33 pm
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Update on Harrison Harmonica/SPAH Scholarship Fund

On Sep 26, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Joseph Leone <3n037@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would preclude the food part. After all, if they stayed home, while they
would not have any of the other expenses, they would still have to eat. And some
people eat too much. :)

The thing is, Joe, SPAHs are seldom held in places where the food costs are
reasonable. Without a car, it's eat in the hotel or starve. I was raised to take
care of my guests. The grant would include a modest per diem rather than a blank
check.

> Spah is never going to provide live musicians for anyone whom is not a 'known
commodity'.

Being an unknown quantity is precisely the point.

> They just can't afford it.

That's right, which is what makes a self-sufficient fund to provide an artist
for the entertainment line up a good thing. There's no downside for SPAH unless
you count me. And since it's a SPAH event, A slot on the on the selection
committee would be set aside for a SPAH designee. And by the way, I see this as
a genre agnostic grant.

And I know a lot of people who already attend SPAH fit into the category of
amazing and unknown outside their circles but the purpose of this grant is to
look beyond what's right in front of us. And as a practical matter, I don't want
to hurt anyone's feelings by seeming to choose one SPAH regular over another.
You're all aces in my book.

But all of this is moot unless SPAH expresses an interest, which thus far it has
not. So, Winslow if you're listening, or reading really, please contact me off
list if there's andy interest so we can have preliminary discussions.

There may not be room on the board for me anymore but I believe in SPAH's
mission. I have a heart felt desire to help the organization broaden its
membership and to help preserve and advance the harmonica.

Bob Cohen
Writer, Internet Consultant, Teacher
w: bobjcohen.com
t: #itsabobworld