 From: Winslow Yerxa <winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2012 9:04 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] u-blocker - Leo Diamond

Another U-blocker, whose name will mean more to older players than younger ones, is Leo Diamond.

Diamond was an alumnus of the vaudeville harmonica band Borrah Minnevitch's Harmonica Rascals. When he grew out of that, , he developed into a wonderful player, composer, and arranger as a solo artist.

Diamond as also a pioneer of advanced recording techniques, including overdubbing and using film instead of tape - this is at least ten years before Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys.

You can find some of Leo Diamond's recordings on YouTube - tone and vibrato to die for on chromatic harmonica (I sometimes wonder whether Stevie Wonder might have been influenced by his sound).

Winslow Yerxa
Resident Harmonica Expert, bluesharmonica.com
Instructor, Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance