Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Low Chromatics

Ahh. Finally!  While I DO love the idea of an even lower 16 hole  Chromatic
A, the question is: can the tuning from a 4 octave C be done to an A  or Bb
withOUT a ton of solder (or Blue Tak) piled up on the reeds?

I've been long-since seriously considering having a couple of my Super 64's
 tuned to straight A and Bb by whomever..but when I've bounced the idea off
a  couple of chromatic players I trusted to give me an objective opinion
they dissuaded me from doing so by claiming that while the Bb wouldn't  be a
huge deal (mainly time consuming), the A would be TOO difficult or it
wasn't worth doing. Naturally, the A is the instrument I'd want first so I've
been stymied/stumped.

You've made me very happy with this response, Winslow. I also knew some of
those instruments were already in existence--certain famous players who
preached the harmonica gospel of 'everything on a C' had Bb and A  chromatics
hidden in their cases to use 'as needed' (with the audience none the
wiser). <G>

 Thanks much.  Now I just need that tiny bit more of info...from  the
customizers/tuners out there. Who here does this kind of work? - OR --would
Hohner itself retune existing Super 64's for someone who owns several of  them?

Elizabeth

PS: GREAT topic question, JP. I'm one whoS LOVES the sound of  low, low
diatonics and never thought about ultra-low chromatics! While I agree  with
David --they would take more air, for some strange reason I seem to  gravitate
towards the Tenor C's and the low end of my chromatics despite not  having a
lot of air. With consistent playing though, my lung capacity seems to  be
improving.

PPS: Never been a smoker despite being surrounded by 'em throughout my
life, so no reprimands, please.

"Message: 9