Re: [Harp-L] Meat and Potatoes 79 Deconstructing Slim Harpo

1965, New York City. I'm 13 or 14, I have an Echo Harp and a small chromatic.

Couldn't hardly play either, but I was teaching myself chromatic by playing pop songs out of a cheap song book. My favorite song to play was the theme from the movie Thunderball, a piece I've never liked since, but probably for good reason.

WABC radio, my favorite of the three rock 'n' roll stations, picks up on Baby Scratch My Back. As you know, it starts with that bent note. What the hell is that?

I worked with my chromatic for MONTHS trying to figure out how he got such a smooth gliss between the notes.

Then Tony Glover's book came out.

I honestly didn't even know there was such a thing as Blues, or that Scratch My Back was an example.

There were good things about growing up in NYC that balanced that out.