Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki Sub30 Ultrabend -- Review

Just another update...I picked up a Session Steel in A, which is similar in
apperance to the SUB30.  The Steel has not been tweaked at all, but if
reminded me of the stock SUB30 in A.  I compared the two directly, and felt
the SUB30 played much better as a Richter harp after full customizing.  I
don't have a stock SUB30 to compare to, but I'd say the SUB30 can be
compared in playability to a Session Steel moreso than the Hohner's I've
compared against.

IMO, the SUB can be played as a blues harp.  Meaning, you don't have to
play jazzy to utilize it.  It works fantastic for blues too.  I am a rock
player more than anything, but I also play blues with a strong attack and
tongue blocking, etc.  It has responded well to that type of playing.  I
felt valved harps and a lot of overbend harps had to be played with a
different attack to really play well...my style tends to be more in the
middle.  I probably play too hard compared to a lot of jazz diatonic (ok, I
know I for sure do) guys, but I don't blow through reeds like some blues
players.

Again, IMO, if you take the time to at least gap the SUB30 to your attack,
it will work out just fine.  If you can do some embossing on all the reeds,
it will play even better.  If you want it to be even more responsive and
have a brassier tone, then you work towards that too. That is a lot more
work, but to each his (or her) own.

Mike