Re: [Harp-L] re:busking = Three questions to the experienced busker

Hey Martin, did you catch Mik's mail, I almost missed it:

From: "mik jagger" <harpomatic@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:08 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] re:busking

Martin, I think it is a good idea to appear clean but not overdressed, however if you are comfortable with a suit and tie, that will work - you'll stand out in a positive way, a a serious guy, rather than a bum begging for money. Rugged look can generate sympathy element if you are very good, but not "pee in your pants and don't wash for weeks" kind of rugged;) I know, you'd not take it that far, it's just my observation of what people do, what works and what does not. Take the money out once it builds up - it prevents all kinds of unwanted scenarios, but still nudges people to put something in. You should have coins and bills laying in there, as a suggestion that no tip is too small or too large, and that others support you - the prospective "supporter" should not feel like he/she is the only fool to think your talents are worth his $0.02

Also, if it is mainly about money(nothing wrong with that, as the rest of funky experiences will come in abundance anyway), you should ideally choose the busiest place with the highest flow of foot traffic. Do not be shy about it, do not worry about acoustics. You'll get more cash if enough people just see you. Sure, it helps to be heard well, have a great repertoire, be really good musically, but these things are not main determinants of how much you'll make. Here in NYC, if you play on the subway station or in Times Square, people will not be listening to even one full song - they'll be pushed by the rest to keep on moving, so you'll make sufficient money by playing same song over and over, if that's all you've got. One guy here in times Sq - the "naked cowboy" has been strumming same sloppy E maj chord on a red white and blue chinese guitar for over a decade, reportedly making $250K per year. His thing is that he only wears a cowboy hat, boots and a pair of white underwear. It helps that he looks like Fabio - women love him and stuff bills in his boots all day long for a chance to take a pic with him. I'd say that 1 song + 1 instrumental is all you need to be fully in the game. I song to hook them in, 1 instrumental to keep them moving along...