Re: [Harp-L] Dean Martin and Billy Lee Riley.

This is an old post now, but I just got some new headphones so I can
hear...Billy Lee Riley !!?? Really...? My gal is red hot......Flying
Saucers rock'n'roll etc..golly who would have thought?
Anyhow, when this track was on the radio..about 64 or 65 I'd guess, most
people I knew would never have known it was a country song. (Lattie Moore)
There was a lot of that going on in pop back then, gathering momentum from
the 50s on and what caused country to go pop so that it hardly exists as a
separate entity anymore...not as far as I'm concerned.
But (harp content) this is the kind of place you heard (diatonic) harmonica
in the mainstream. They really didn't want Dino to sell into the country
market, but they did want some 'barroom colour'.
To use, say, Buddy Emmons on steel, would have made it a country record. To
put some fairly un-refined (sorry Billy, no offense meant; I like it
anyhow) harp on the track is like sticking a cowboy hat on at a party while
wearing a tux. It's just a witty little gag. But at least there was that
place for harp in popular music; sort of like a racial stereotype in an old
movie.
Anyhow, thanx for the detective work Winslow.
RD

--
Rick Dempster
EÃâÅResources/Serials