Re: [Harp-L] Hermine/Gregoire

On Sep 20, 2012, at 9:18 AM, JWilliam Thompson wrote:

> Thanks for posting the Hermine Duerloo clips. With a few understated
> notes she demonstrates great mastery of her instrument and a wonderful
> musicality.
>
> Gregoire Maret, by contrast (at least on the Herbie Hancock clip)
> plays a lot of notes but never really plays what I would call music.
> He seems to be flailing away on his instrument. With all due respect
> to the Harp-L members who gave him kudos, I think it is a case of
> admiring "the emperor's new clothes."
>
> Maybe the lesson is how often in music, less is more.
>
> Bill in DC

I think it's all my fault. So, I have decided to be more open minded about harmonica musics.
Not trying to make excuses, but one time I was staying in a cheap hotel in Greece or somewhere.
I was awoken in the morning to the sound of a sheep or goat bleating (obviously in terror). When
I looked out the window it opened onto a back alley of a butcher shop and they were slaughtering
an animal.
It brought back memories of when my Polish grandfather would kill geese and ducks for their famous soup.

Ergo, I am not a great fan of people making sounds that mimic poor dying animals. Call me crazy.
I'm thinking that what it COULD all be is that some players get tired of hearing the same sounds coming
out of their harmonicas..OR maybe they're getting bored with their OWN sound, and are searching for new
avenues to explore. I'll be the first to admit that they are probably right and I am probably wrong. AND they
needn't worry about my opinion as I am not high enough on the food chain to affect their careers. lolol

Sebastian...Mind boggling fantastic player. Unfortunately..too much going on with the audio. His Musketeer hair style is cool though. :)
Hermine...I could listen to her all day. She speaks a language I can understand.
Gregoire...I couldn't understand what he was trying to say. His style reminds me of the piano player Cecil Taylor. Now.. I'm sure he can do the job when the need arrises, but I have given him a number of shots and  I now have to rule him out of my ears. Sorry Gregoire.

smo-joe