Re: [Harp-L] Suzuki Sub30 Ultrabend -- Review

I've been picking at modding the SUB30 over the last month.  I can say I've
got it 90% done or so now.  I have not retuned (although doesn't sound far
off), and the gaps aren't perfect, but I have done extensive modifications
in line with my regular custom work.  The sympathetic reeds are working
perfectly for me now.  The harp plays very well as a traditional harp, and
I've found the sweet spot with the new bends...I did tape off the bottom
octave, though.

I have Manji cover plates coming this week and will give those a go.  I
really really like it.  I miss the feel of a Marine Band, and the timbre,
but for a mellow/dark sounding harp, it is very pleasant.  I am not totally
in love with the response on holes 1 and 2 even after a lot of effort.  The
10 blow bend is much better now.

I wouldn't hesitate to play this harp live immediately...it is a great tool
for BLUES, IMO.  I have been only using it in that context, though.  Now
that I've sorta done one, I think I could get one up to speed in a couple
of hours, maybe?  I really nickel and dimed this one - about three hours of
bench time over a month's time.

Playability is really good now...very satisfied...not like a custom, IMO,
but a very serviceable harp!  I look forward to finding ways of making it
more airtight and present.  I will for sure be checking out other keys.
 Again, a good investment for me as I can tinker with it easily.