[Harp-L] Les is More !,-)

Fellow Harpers,

Years ago my good friend Danny Wilson provided me with a copy of this recording on Cassette tape, I was blown away!

I always make sure my students know who Don Les was and what he could do on a Diatonic Harmonica sans Overblows mostly in 1st Position...Don was a Bass Harmonica Player for Jerry Murad's Harmonicats but loved the Diatonic and really mastered this style on it,

Here's a little bio on him:

Don Les (Born Dominic Leshinski, 15 November 1914; Died 25 August 1994, Madison, Wisconsin)

"Don Les weighed only one pound at the time of his birth in Lorain, Ohio. He died shortly thereafter but was massaged back to life by a quick thinking doctor. Don was blind until the age of 12 when an operation repaired his vision. During recuperation he was given a trumpet, but he bliew out his lip from too much practice. On a dare from a schoolteacher, he took up the harmonica and practiced day and night, even in bed under the blankets.

Don was the first to play jazz on the harmonica in the 1930's, and the first harmonica player in the musician's union. He coined the name "Harmonicats", and played bass harmonica for 27 years before emerging as a lead player. He has performed with nearly every major brand and on many T.V. shows."

Also, take note of the Chord & Harmonetta work by the terrific Mo Vint who simultaneously played Electric PEDAL Bass on these recordings....this is some real heavy musicianship folks and wonderful playing....Today Mo Vint, Bud Boblink and Frank Warner tour as the "Cats" and if they are playing near you check em out...I see had had a date last May 2012 so hopefully the touring will continue!

http://www.harmonicats.net/index.html

Someone posted this on the tube, only 645 hits!:

You Tube of the complete Don Les Harmonicats Vol I & II recordings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db9NVm54rX8

Thank You, Thank You Thank You.... Danny Wilson!

Enjoy, Rob Paparozzi www.robpaparozzi.com