Re: [Harp-L] crossover harmonica

A well known customizer friend of min told me that he was no longer doing customizing. He found that the Hohner Cross Over works quite well and is using them for back harps and recommended that I try one. I've ordered one to see for myself. There are so many varying opinions about harps, that I figure it's up to each player to find what works for him or her. All my harps are customs and I arely have a problem with them, but it does get expensive. It would be great to have a reliable stock backup.

Bullfrog
----- Original Message ----- From: "Wayne Childress" <wchildress6112@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 7:27 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] crossover harmonica

Friends, I bought Crossover "D" harp thru an online supplier and paid 70 bucks for it. I was motivated by a desire to play fiddle tunes with greater ease and the testimony of a pro player I admire. The 7 blow reed went flat within the warranty period. I returned the harp and Hohner sent me a replacement. The 4 draw reed broke on the replacement in less than a month. I returned that harp to Hohner and they sent me a quote for 39 dollars to recondition the harp. I sent them a letter two weeks ago asking that they return the harp to me unrepaired. I have not received my harp or a reply from them. I think Hohner made a souped up harp using the same reeds they use in the Marine Band and and they're fragile. I am not a blues player and I do not play hard.

I love Hohner harps but they're not as durable as the Lee Oskars and they have gotten expensive. I was quoted by Hohner 47 dollars for a set of replacement reeds for a Special 20. That's another fragile harp.

Wayne C.