 From: Rick Epping <rickepping@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Vern <jevern@xxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 12:38 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] triple vs quadruple reed harps

Hi Vern,

I agree that it's deflection that stresses a reed.  I believe that the
greatest degree of deflection occurs at the moment when a reed is brought
into play from a rest position, by the initial burst of air that the player
gives it in order to make it respond.  The more suitable the reed's
environment, the less breath pressure will be required to make it respond
and the less deflection will occur during the initial attack.  An example
of this can be found in a comparison of the high notes of the 270 Super
Chromonica with the old comb, with those with new comb, in which the space
in the reed cells has been reduced.  It's curious that, while a reed
responds better in the presence of an opposing reed with a lower frequency,
it also responds better in a reed cell with a higher resonant frequency
than its own natural frequency.  Reducing the depth of the highest cells in
the 270 comb has raised their resonant frequencies to above the natural
frequencies of their reeds, with the effect that these reeds require less
breath pressure to respond than with the old comb.  Similarly, the
improvement in response given to a reed by the presence of a lower-pitched
opposing reed results in less breath pressure being required to make it
respond, and therefore less deflection and less stress at the moment of
attack.

Best regards,
Rick