Re: [Harp-L] Cheap (sorry! Cost Effective) Harmonicas and (alleged) Asian Ripoffs

On Sep 13, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Aongus MacCana wrote:

> When I was a kid (not today or yesterday) Japanese meant cheap and nasty. I
> remember taking a tinplate Japanese toy car apart and finding a picture of
> baked beans inside. It had been made from  a recycled bean can.

In my case, the friction toys were recycled beer cans  lololol

> When I was a few years older It was considered a great source of amusement
> to see Japanese guys with their cameras crawling all over the motor bikes at
> the Isle of Man TT. It was assumed that they were trying to thieve superior
> European intellectual property.
>
> However when Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki started to take over the races a few
> years later it soon wiped the smile off a few European faces. I can foresee
> respect for Chinese products going the same way.
>
> The problem I see with harmonicas is that they are "consumables" like
> welding rods. They start 'going bad' from the first beery breath. F.R.
> Farrell was not kidding when he said "if you can't fix your own harmonica,
> you can't afford to play one"

That originated with me..well sort of. I always said "If you don't learn to work on your own harmonicas, it could cost you a small fortune to PLAY harp". lolol