Re: [Harp-L] The Future of Blues Harmonica? = New Thread

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Matthew Smart <matthewsmart@...> wrote:

> Interesting comments Mr. Friedman. It has inspired me to create another
> thread.
>
> And that is my feeling that learning to customize your harmonica (at
> least at rudimentary levels) makes you a better player. I'd love to hear
> other peoples thoughts on this.

I don't have a comment on that particular part of things. I never learned to customize my own harmonicas. But I would like to say, on a related note, that I agree completely with Sam's comment below:

> It is crucial for beginners to have a good instrument, because it is the fastest
> way to actually understand what effect the motions you are doing have
> on the instrument and the sound produced.

I had a harmonica and the intention to play it for years before I ever got anywhere. My first harp was a Hohner Blues Harp. So was my second. I got pretty good at making awful, breathy honking noises on them and that's it. I eventually got a Special 20 and started doing some basic things, like half-baked bends. I was stuck at that level for quite awhile until someone graciously gave me a customized Special 20. My learning curve shot up instantly. My bends were immediately better, my tone was immediately better and as a consequence, I felt I could actually do this thing, and it was FUN. I still have that harp and it's my favorite. I have since learned to impose my will on lesser harmonicas, but I never would have gotten to that point if it hadn't been for that first custom. While I remain, at best, a middling player, it's no longer due to a lack of adequate hardware.

-JP