[Harp-L] Music theory for the diatonic harp player

Surely, this has been shared with the group, but I'll add my 2 cents.  I have completed two  of the 6 music theory studies David Barrett has available at Bluesharmonica.com   I have been playing diatonic harmonica for over 35 years "by ear."  While playing by ear works, it is easier to study licks and others performances if you understand some basics of music theory.  I have always been envious  of those players who came to the harmonica after mastering the guitar as the seemed to understand better how to play along with the band.  Additionally, expanding beyond the blues on the diatonic requires an understanding of scales and chord progressions common to other styles.

After just the first 2 lessons, I can read basic sheet music and translate it to what holes to play and more importantly I can discuss intelligently with other musicians the nature of harmonica positions and the notes that are available within common musical scales.  This foundation is also assisting me in understanding the various alternate tunings available for the diatonic and the problems they solve.   Can't wait to dive into study 3 where I'll learn the theory behind  the notes of emphasis in common blues chords.

While part of the magic of the harmonica is how easy one can learn it without knowing music, that does not subtract from the value and fun of "understanding" how it is played and being about to discuss the instrument intelligently with other musicians.  David's six studies are well designed with all of the tenants of good instructional design including demonstration, hands on activities on paper and with the harmonica, repetition for those facts that need to be memorized, reference handouts, and assessment of master after each instructional section.    And the good news is that these six studies are just the tip of the ice berg of what is available for mastering the blues harp at Bluesharmonica.com.  Well done David.   I know music theory may not be for every harp player, but I bet there are many who would enjoy the study of the blues harp with this from this foundation.

Keith in Austin