To: <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2012 7:23 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Subject: Memphis Slim/Sonny Boy Williamson - hour longEuropean concert~video~

You've got me cracking up here, Michelle. You're most welcome.

I did indeed see the Blues Brothers movie--several times in fact, but
didn't make the association between this ensemble playing guitarist with 'that
guy'. In my defense--I wasn't 'in' the harmonica world back then, or
particularly sensitive to blues music and musicians though--hadn't returned to
harmonica playing and wasn't hypersensitive to harmonica playing everywhere I
went (as I am now). There's something about coming back to playing which
makes one hear even the tiniest harmonica note anywhere. Quite astounding.
Like you, though--I'm dying to now watch the Blues Bros movie again :)

In the meantime, I thought you'd get a kick out of these clips:

Think:

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmr0sP8QOgU_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmr0sP8QOgU)

Everybody needs Somebody to Love

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EHV0zs0kVGg_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EHV0zs0kVGg)

Soul Man (Live) with Donald 'Duck' Dunn

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2me1whctwc&feature=player_embedded_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2me1whctwc&feature=player_embedded) #!

As for the 'tour', I suspect this was part of the overall European group of
Black blues musicians who were welcomed in Europe while still being highly
segregated here in the States. There are lots of articles written about
those times--some by the artists involved. Here's an informative 8-page
article about the whys and wherefores (except of course for getting Son House's
name wrong -sheesh)followed by another 5 pages I found particularly
interesting:

_http://www.publicbookshelf.com/history/blues-history/revival-blue_ (http://www.publicbookshelf.com/history/blues-history/revival-blue)

Elizabeth

PS: Am posting yet another Memphis Slim tour I found--a nice way to end
your Sunday as well :) (this one's not as long).

"Message: 5 Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 09:39:40 -0600 From: Michelle LeFree <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Subject: Memphis Slim/Sonny Boy Williamson - hour, long European concert~video~ To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

Elizabeth wrote:
If you're a Sonny Boy  Williamson fan this is a rare treat if you haven't
yet caught this  entire footage: 56 minutes of black and white footage of
the
Memphis Slim Quartet tour in Europe.

Righteous find, Elizabeth! Many thanks  for posting it. I had never even
heard of this tour, let alone this terrific  footage.
The guitar work is as stellar as the piano playing. A guitarist  name of
Matthew 'Guitar' Murphy I hadn't heard of before seeing his name  here. I
checked him out on Wikipedia and he's had a very interesting  career with
some of
the other Blues Greats. Is still around at 82,afaik.

You mean you've never seen the "Blues Brothers" movie?  Matt Murphy plays
guitar in the Blues Brothers band alongside Steve Cropper,  and he's the
husband of the woman played by the great Aretha Franklin.  They're in
their Maxwell street greasy spoon restaurant when Jake and Elwood
recruit Matt for their band. That's when the famous scene ensues when
Aretha sings her "Respect" song complete with a dance routine. Now I
have to watch the movie again tonight... There's about two minutes of
John Lee Hooker leading a band on Maxwell street consisting of several
members of Muddy's band at the time, in front of the Murphy-Franklin
restaurant. Walter Horton also makes a brief appearance in that band. My
favorite scene by far! (Even though he appears to be cross-eyed  drunk.)
Sonny Boy playing and singing some music here I hadn't yet heard before.

My apologies if this has already been posted.

Schweeet post, Elizabeth -- muchas gracias! Great way to  start my Sunday
morning!

Michelle"