Re: [Harp-L] Re: Memphis Slim/Sonny Boy Williamson - hour

Matt had a stoke a few years ago and hadn't been playing for some time but has been joining Cotton on some shows in the last 6 months or so. What really put him back on my radar was one of Bill Wax's interviews with B.B.King on Bluesville on Sirrius XM where they called Matt on the phone and he and B.B. talked for awhile on air.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher" <bluzeharp@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 02, 2012 9:07 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: Memphis Slim/Sonny Boy Williamson - hour

Elizabeth Writes:
'The guitar work is as stellar as the piano playing. A guitarist name of Matthew 'Guitar' Murphy I hadn't heard of before seeing his name here. I checked him out on Wikipedia and he's had a very interesting career with some of the other Blues Greats'.

Matt Murphy was James Cotton's guitarist during part of the 1970's. I saw a few of their shows in my late teens/early 20's... they were absolutely spectacular! For my money this was the absolute pinnacle of Cotton's career as a bandleader. Matt was too good to be a sideman forever and moved on, he also ventured into playing jazz. I've seen both of them many times after the split, always GREAT but never quite the same magic. Cotton, now quite old, received the Lifetime Achievement Award at SPAH last month!

Matt under his own name was the rhythm guitar player/husband of Aretha Franklin in The Blues Brothers movie.

Christopher Richards
www.harmonicaplanet.com