From: robert mcgraw <harpbob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: macaroni9999 <macaroni9999@xxxxxxxxx>; harp-l harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, Sep 2, 2012 9:30 am
Subject: [Harp-L] The Value of Practicing Scales [or not?]

Music CaL wrote:
> Many would disagree that the "groundwork" is in the practicing of scales.
> There are many other starting points. Here some examples that many would
> consider as important or far more important in the initial development of
> harmonica musicianship and musicianship in general:
>
> (1) Practicing arpeggios.
>
> (2) Developing your ear and your mind's-ear-to-harp connection.
>
> (3) Playing melodies that truly interest you.---I think there's a good bit of
truth in what Music Cal [didn't you used to post under another name?] is saying
here. I do think there's room for both; I would argue that practicing the blues
scale in all 12 keys, the altered scale in all 12 keys [or call it jazz minor if
you will], the whole tone scale, the harmonic minor scale, etc, can be useful,
though as soon as the player has them "under his fingers" he/she should refrain
from playing them up and down and simply improvise in each. There are several
Jamey Aerbersold materials that can be useful for this. ---Something that I've
been doing recently: every day I'll take one of the tunes I know and work it out
in all 12 keys. This is  fun, and it seems to  help me understand the tune
better, the various keys better. I suspect it may help with the "ear-to-harp"
connection that Music Cal spoke of. That connection is essential.WVa Bob