Re: [Harp-L] Re:Combs

I may have posted this to the List already, but Sam Friedman and I talked
about making custom harps that had intentionally included a very graphic
and inappropriate piece of cover art so as to only attract customers that
were worried about how the harp actually played, and not how it looked,
lol.  It was a running gag most of SPAH.

I don't like injected combs because I don't like recessed reed plates
because I don't like how they feel in my mouth.  I loved GM's until I tried
MB's and realized I liked the open covers and thinner comb because of how
they felt and responded to my playing.  Ultimately, at the end of the day,
what works for YOU is all that matters, regardless of what science says.

I know exactly what I want from a harmonica, which is even different than
the customs I build for others.

The basic harp for me is a Crossover that is gapped for my playing using a
flat aftermarket comb.  I want the draw plate flat sanded and the reed
profiles set up for an aggressive overblow player.  IMO, airtight with
great profiles is generally good enough.  While a full-on custom is a *way
better* deal, I know I can perform in front of others with said harp.  The
most important factors in a great harp are the fact that is is airtight and
well profiled.  The XO already has a compromise tuning close to ET, open
covers, side vents, and a comb .24" or less.  I don't want something wide,
sluggish, or airy.  I don't want it to be dark or muddy.  I don't want it
to be quiet.  I don't want straight ET, and I don't want a Just intonation.

I know what I want from a custom too, but that's besides the point.

That took a lot of time to nail down.  Now if I could only get that
specific with what I want from my live rig....